Bethesda Hospital East

Landmark Groundbreaking of Palm Beach County's Newest Hospital: Bethesda West Hospital

May 25, 2010

 

Pictured left to right: Fred B. Devitt, Jr., Esq.; Jeffrey Pheterson; William F. Koch, Jr.; Stormet C. Norem; Thomas A. Smith; Commissioner Burt Aaronson; Special Assistant to Governor Crist, Diego Echeverri; William M. Plum; State Representative Maria Lorts Sachs; George T. Elmore; Bethesda President and CEO Robert B. Hill; Fred W. Love, M.D.; Ralph B. Breslaw, M.D.; and State Representative Kevin Rader.

 

After more than a decade, the shovels and hard hats are in place as Bethesda Healthcare System marked the official groundbreaking of Bethesda West Hospital on Tuesday, May 25. Several county and civic leaders attended this historic event for this $130 million, all-private room, world-class, not-for-profit facility. To commemorate the event, there was a helicopter flyover to capture the groundbreaking as Hospital officials raised their shovels and the crowd waved.
 

Located on the northeast corner of Boynton Beach Boulevard and US-441, Bethesda West Hospital will be an 80-bed -- all private room – community hospital that provides comprehensive inpatient and outpatient medical services, with state-of-the-art technology that incorporates environmentally sound practices to support superior patient care.
 

Special features of Bethesda West Hospital include: a completely electronic medical records system that enables physicians receive test results for their patients in real time via their smart phones or office computers and enables the hospital to be “paper lite.” It will also ensure that patients receive optimal care so that they can recover in a timely manner.
 

As an additional benefit, patients can order their meals via room service. Patients will be able to order from a prescribed menu when they are ready to eat, adding to the hotel-like atmosphere. The hospital will also have three separate elevator banks: one designated for patients; one designated for visitors and a third for supplies and equipment, helping to ensure that patients are more comfortable as they travel through the hospital.
 

The dream to build a hospital to serve the growing western communities of South Palm Beach County began with the opening of Bethesda Health City in 1996. While this outpatient medical mall in west Boynton Beach has seen tremendous growth, Bethesda Healthcare System recognized that the western communities needed vital healthcare services, ranging from emergency care to inpatient medical services, that only a hospital could provide.
 

The Bethesda West Hospital site is part of the former Amestoy Farms. Nancy and Martin Amestoy were one of the pioneering farm families in the Agricultural Reserve who purchased the land in 1951 and farmed here for more than 50 years. Bethesda is proud to recognize the Amestoys by naming the Bethesda West Hospital main entrance road in honor of Nancy Amestoy.
 

Construction for Bethesda West Hospital officially begins June 1, 2010. The project is expected to take 30 months to complete and is expected to bring in hundreds of construction jobs over the course of the project. During this time, a 45,000 sq. ft. medical office building will also be built on the 58-acre site.
The Bethesda Hospital Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Bethesda, is proud to support this vital and important medical facility. Since its inception in 1947, the Foundation has supported the growth and advancement of the Bethesda Healthcare System. The Foundation is preparing for a new community-wide campaign in support of Bethesda West Hospital.
 

Together with Bethesda Memorial Hospital, which was South Palm Beach County’s first not-for-profit, community hospital, Bethesda West Hospital is being founded with the same mission that has guided Bethesda Memorial Hospital since 1959: “to provide quality health services in a caring manner.”