Top Row (l to r): Holly Wagner, Javoncia Betty, Kara Seymour, Mia Hardack, Renz Gaviola and Helena Hoayun. Bottom Row (l to r): Meagen Kovacs, Dana Tam, Jillian Burdick, Mr. Peter Blum, Ashley Mucinski, Janel Scholine, Chelsea Kickingstallion and Mrs. Heidi Spirazza standing in for her daughter Cara Spirazza.
(Boynton Beach, FL) – 13 students were selected as the recipients of the 2012 Blum Family Scholarship at Bethesda Memorial Hospital on Friday, August 10. Each of the students, all children of Bethesda Healthcare System employees, will receive $5,000 toward a four-year college degree.
Peter Blum is a longtime civic leader and founder of Blum’s Furniture. Mr. Blum serves as Vice Chairman of the Bethesda Hospital Foundation Board of Directors. He established the Blum Scholarship for Bethesda Healthcare System in 2000 with two $5,000 scholarships. In its 13th year, the program has grown with 13 scholarships awarded this year thanks to generous donors including Mr. Blum and the Hospital. Mr. Blum awarded the remaining 18 candidates with a $200 Visa gift card for their academic and community achievements.
“Our scholarship program is a wonderful way for us to say thank you to the many dedicated employees of this great hospital who provide exceptional care to our community,” said Mr. Blum. “We are honored to help these outstanding students reach their potential,” he added.
Scholarship applicants are required to meet established academic and community service criteria. All of the scholarship candidates and their parents were invited to a luncheon with guest of honor Mr. Blum.
Congratulations to the 2012 Blum Family Scholarship Recipients:
- Javoncia Betty, of Delray Beach, is a 2012 graduate of Boca Raton Community High School. She currently attends Palm Beach State College and will transfer to Florida State University in the spring to major in Biology.
- Jillian Burdick, of Palm Coast, earned her Bachelor’s degree in Biology from the University of Florida. She is currently attending Daytona State College to pursue a career in Nursing.
- Renz Gaviola, of Lake Worth, is a 2012 graduate of Park Vista Community High School. He plans to attend the University of Central Florida to study Nursing.
- Mia Hardack, of Boca Raton, is a 2012 graduate of West Boca Raton Community High School. This fall, she will attend Florida State University to major in Biology.
- Helena Hoayun, of Lake Worth, is a 2012 graduate of Atlantic Community High School. She plans to attend Florida State University this fall to major in Music Therapy.
- Chelsea Kickingstallion, of Boynton Beach, is a sophomore at Palm Beach State College. She is part of the dual degree program at Florida International University where she will pursue a law degree.
- Meagan Kovacs, of Wellington, is entering her senior year at the University of Florida where she is studying Cognitive Neuroscience and Music Performance.
- Ashley Mucinski, of Loxahatchee, is a 2012 graduate of Seminole Ridge High School. She will attend Florida Atlantic University to major in Ocean Engineering.
- Janel Scholine, of Lantana, is a 2012 graduate of Santaluces High School. This fall, she will attend the University of Florida to major in Electrical Engineering.
- Kara Seymour, of Boynton Beach, is a 2012 graduate of Park Vista Community High School. She will attend Polk State College to major in Business.
- Cara Spirazza, of Boynton Beach, is a 2012 graduate of Park Vista Community High School. This fall, she plans to attend the University of Central Florida to major in Biology and Pre-Veterinary Medicine.
- Dana Tam, of Boynton Beach, is a 2012 graduate of Atlantic Community High School. This fall, she will attend the University of Florida to major in Marketing and Biology.
- Holly Wagner, of Lake Worth, is a 2012 graduate of Park Vista Community High School. This fall, she will attend Palm Beach State College to major in Nursing.