Bethesda Hospital East - Our History
As the flagship of Bethesda Health, Inc., Bethesda Hospital East is a fully accredited, community, not-for-profit hospital offering a full array of healthcare services through our Centers of Excellence.
Bethesda Hospital East opened its doors in 1959 with 70 beds, a medical staff of 32 physicians, 65 employees and a mission to serve the community. At that time, the Hospital's founders made a decision to establish Bethesda as a not-for-profit hospital. For over 50 years, the commitment to preserving this status has not wavered.
It is this commitment to our community that has allowed Bethesda to grow and become a 401-bed, community, not-for-profit hospital with a mission "to provide quality health services in a caring manner."
With 525 physicians in more than 40 areas of specialty, and a hospital staff of more than 2,300 employees, Bethesda Hospital East, and its affiliates, offer a full array of healthcare services including:
Building for a Lifetime
|1957||Groundbreaking ceremony for Bethesda Hospital East|
|1959||Hospital opened with 32 doctors and 70 beds|
|1959||First baby born at Bethesda|
|1969||A rock from the pool of Bethesda in Jerusalem was sent to the Hospital by former Boynton Beach residents. It remains on display in the Main Lobby of the Hospital.|
|1980||A witty sign placed in front of the Hospital succinctly expressed Bethesda's community ownership. . . priceless!|
|2000||Bethesda's most aggressive expansion and renovation plan was presented and initiated: $100 Million Community Challenge Campaign|
|2005||The 28-bed Cornell Institute for Rehabilitation Medicine opened on the 3rd floor of the Hospital to serve the needs of patients requiring orthopedic and neurological rehabilitation.|
|2005||The Bethesda Stroke Center became a Certified Primary Stroke Center, the first of its kind in Palm Beach County|
|2008||The Bethesda Heart Hospital, a 39-bed, heart hospital opened to provide the most comprehensive level of cardiovascular services for the area's rapidly growing population.|
|2008||The Walter S. and Lucienne Driskill Endovascular Center opened to allow surgeons to care for patients with vascular problems using minimally invasive procedures.|
|2009||Bethesda Hospital East, the first, not-for-profit, community hospital built in South Palm Beach County, celebrated its 50th Anniversary on February 9, 2009.|
|2010||Landmark groundbreaking of Palm Beach County's newest hospital, Bethesda Hospital West, on May 25, 2010.|
|2013||Bethesda Hospital West opened its doors on January 8, 2013. This 80-bed, all-private room hospital will serve the western communities of Boynton Beach.|